Monday, March 16, 2009

A Statement of Purpose

Who are you?

Human. Flesh and blood and bone. Heart and soul and mind. Running, leaping, laboring, dancing, resting, beating, bleeding, thinking, praying, dreaming, becoming.

Who are you?

Woman. Lover of men and women and children and all of creation. Giving, taking, birthing, dying, holding, pushing, receiving, losing, loving, leaving, coming.

Who are you?

Sight. Lens and nerve and impulse and shadow and light. Vision and perception and eyes that see and see and see. Eyes that will no longer avert their gaze from racism, sexism, hatred, indifference, inequity, despair, pain, violence, poverty, abuse, injustice.

Who are you?

Voice. Throat and larynx and vibration and buzz. Resonance and dissonance and pulsing waves of sound. Sound that will dare to name what is seen. Words that will work to bring light into darkness. Voice that will risk judgment to become part of the solution.

Who are you?

Human. Woman. Sight. Voice.

This I am. This I have. This I must give to all that I love. With this I must make purpose. With pieces and fragments, songs and stories, hope and risk, I must become the path I seek.

No comments:

Post a Comment